Hilda in Africa

Monday, August 14, 2006

Health

After so many months alone in strange places, one really becomes aware of one's health. I am not obsessive about hygiene or anything to do with germs. So I have had my come-uppance as a result.

The heatstroke was uderstandable and preventable if one really tried to stay out of the sun. But then a lot of fun is lost!

The fact that I got malaria when I did is probably not too bad, considering that I had not taken tablets to prevent it. I have just had a email from Evy in Sierra Leone in which she says that she and Nico have both just gone down again with malaria and she had it a few weeks ago when I was there and Nico had it and was I was in hospital the same time as me. In the house I am staying in in Lagos, the little boy has it and actually, wherever one goes in these parts, it is part of life and just accepted. 'He has the fever' is the common saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home